Monday, February 28, 2011

February Friendship Basket Club

Ahhh..... The Month of LOVE!!
February can be so unpredictable....Weather can be mild or horrific, celebrations have slowed down yet the days seem to short to accomplish everything we have on our list.  We find ourselves caught in the winter doldrums & patiently waiting for the signs of spring.


I find it interesting that February is the month most people make their summer vacation plans.....Quilter's, they retreat! 
February & March are the biggest months for quilting retreats.  Now you could chalk it up to many things.....cabin fever, wanderlust, but being the month of LOVE.....I think it's all about the human connection.
As women we give, give, give from October through December... cooking, gifting, making sure every hope & dream for the holidays come true. 

Then February arrives..... we give ourselves a little gift, maybe a little splurge. 
It seems women naturally crave the companionship of those who know us & understand us best.....our sisters, friends & confidants. 

It reminds me of "Anne of Green Gables"  when Anne Shirley confides in Marilla...."Do you think that I shall ever have a bosom friend?  An intimate friend, you know....a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul.  I've dreamed of meeting her all my life". 

Shortly after, Anne meets Diana Barry & a friendship begins.  Anne has finally met her bosom friend, her kindred spirit.  They take an oath to be faithful to each other for as long as the sun & moon shall endure.

I recently attended a retreat at Bryce Canyon.  A lovely woman/quilter has been organizing this retreat/reunion for around 20 years.  It was such fun watching as old friends reunited.  Many consider this yearly ritual sacred, they make the trip to reconnect, refresh, & relax with their kindred spirits, their bosom friends.  It's like the "March of the Penguins" .... driven by nature to make the trek.....& nothing short of death will part them.
As the days progressed it was exciting to see new friendships blossom.  New opportunities to form bonds of friendship which held all the promise if nurtured tenderly, they too would become kindred spirits, bosom friends.

It gave me cause to reflect on my dearest friends, the kindred spirits, who hold a place of honor in my heart, whether they are near or far, they are always with me!

Remember:  "A friend is a gift you give yourself"

Till next time....

February Templates click    "HERE"